Tuesday 4 February 2014

Cottage and workshop diorama.

A few years back I took a job with a company called Plastic Surgeon, who offer cosmetic repairs on all sorts of surfaces (check them out - some of the things they can do are incredible!). Here is a link: Plastic surgeon

It is thanks to them that my eye for detail has improved significantly and I now apply a "think outside the box" mentality to my modelling techniques and I find myself spending more and more time making sure that the details in my models are as fine as possible.

Just recently I joined a few model rail forums and discovered that, despite my best efforts, there are people out there creating buildings to a much higher standard than mine.

Check out this thread: Amazing modelling

So I have started a new diorama based on inspiration from modellers like those in the above link. Originally I wanted to build a cottage and have it resin casted and sold as a finished product. I may well still do this, but I also want to create a nice diorama to showcase my work.

So the cottage began with searching for a suitable donor building. In my line of work travelling is a must and I get to see so many different places that finding something to work off is never difficult. I discovered a nice house on a country road in Staffordshire and remembered the area. Then I went into google maps when I got home and printed off some screen grabs as reference.


You can also see the plan that I made in Photoshop that allows the measurements to be accurate to 100%. This allows for accurate brick courses and windows aperture size.

No comments:

Post a Comment